Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Best Picture Nominees We've Seen:

Ranked in order of my preference:
1. Inception
2. Toy Story 3
3. Black Swan
4. The Social Network
5. True Grit
6. Winter's Bone
7. The Kids Are All Right

(still need to see: The King's Speech, 127 Hours, and The Fighter)

Since last time I posted the movies I had seen, I watched 3 more. 
The Social Network:
I thought this movie was very good, a bit jumpy in parts, but I know they meant it to be that way.  As far as Mark Zukerberg (sp?) goes, they paint him to be a villain...but I hardly think that's the case.  With the twins and their associate, I feel as though as Harvard men, they should have been more proactive than phone calls and emails.  Before the idea was decided upon, they should have drawn up some kind of contract or legally binding document to prevent their idea from being "stolen". 
It sucks that his friend got screwed a bit, but money changes people, and as a business major, reading contracts should have been Business 101.  He got the raw end of a deal, but also got a ton of money and had his part of the story told I suppose.

Winter's Bone:
This movie felt very real, as it should because most of the cast were actually people from the area it was shot in.  I thought it was a good movie, but lacked a certain amount of flair.  It was dead pan and linear from scene one.  I did feel for the characters (and the uncle was amazing), but it wasn't my favorite story.  I don't see this being a Best Picture nominee.

The Kids Are All Right:
*Sigh*
This was another "marriage-in-trouble-insert-cheating-here" story done with lesbians instead of a straight couple.  I found myself not caring about the characters or becoming emotionally involved.  Annette Benning did a fantastic job, and definitely deserves a Best Actress nomination.  Julianne Moore can't do a movie anymore without showing some nipple, so I wasn't surprised when the nudity in the movie was her.  The cast did a good job, but the story lacked and it's been done before...the only thing different was that they were lesbians.  Definitely doesn't deserve to be put in the category of Best Picture.

No comments: