Thursday, January 6, 2011

Back in New Mexico

*sigh*

I really wish I was back in the school district.  Thank you, Tricare office on base, for not getting the paperwork turned in and causing me to miss the hiring dates.  I dislike you very much.

I'm home from work early.  No kids really in my room at the daycare.  Can't say I'm too disappointed.  Lots of stuff going on there that I don't really want to be a part of.  I will carry on because that's what I do and things are bound to work out.  (I'm a glass half full kinda person).

In other news, I recently read an article about the classic book Huckleberry Finn being rereleased without the word "nigger" or "injun" in it.  I completely understand that people shouldn't use these words anymore as they are offensive to the two groups, but in the time that the book was written, these words were common.  I don't think that Twain was using these words to degrade anyone, but merely that they were words that were in almost everyone's daily vocabulary.  It is a slippery slope that we are getting ourselves on, changing a classic novel (and after the author is dead!).  What's going to be changed next?  Should we go back through all literature and change words that we find offensive now? 
I would hate to be called something that offends me, but it happens and will happen again.  I just have to put on my big girl panties and come to grips with the fact that not everyone in the world is going to do or say things to my liking.  That's the problem with political correctness.  The tough-skinned individuals who brush off words are becoming few and far between and the whiners and tantrum throwers who are hurt by a word not directed at them are becoming the majority.  What are we teaching our kids?  Isn't there a saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me" ?  Yes, words do hurt sometimes, but sometimes you just have to realize that people are going to be jerks and move on.  Make a mental note of that kind of person, and ignore their ignorance. 
Censorship is awful.
Ever heard of Fahrenheit 451, people?  If you haven't, look it up.  I don't want the future to be filled with mindless drones in a black and white world.

No comments: