Sunday, March 28, 2010

Life Changes in an Instant

My friend got some really terrible news today. 

We were on our way to IHOP with his wife and received a call that his dad had been in a dirt bike accident and that they needed to go to Houston tonight.  About 5 minutes later, he calls me again sobbing and told us his dad had died.

I get this sick feeling in my stomach every time I think about it.  I handed the phone to Alexis and she just started saying, "No, no, no..." 

We took her back home, I went to the store to get some food for Ben, and when I got back, Alexis texted me and asked me if I could come and watch her son while she packed.  I put the groceries on the counter and just left. 

When I got over there, she was running around trying to get everything ready because they had to leave to catch their flight in one hour.  I fed Liam, got him cleaned up, changed, dressed, gave him some snacks, made Brandon some food, cleaned up the kitchen, and just tried to help as much as I could.  Alexis was trying to pack for her, Liam, and Brandon, so I just wanted to do everything that I could to help her out.  I watched Brandon walk around the house in a daze...he couldn't focus on anything, understandably.  I didn't know what else to do. 

As they were rushing around the house and rushing out the door, Alexis was trying to call one of our friends to see if he'd just stay at their house while they were gone since she is expecting lots of packages and they have a dog.  I told her I'd call and ask, and to just go. 

I can't imagine what they're going through right now, and all I can do for them now is just pray.

No comments: