Sunday, March 14, 2010

Running

After years of not being able to do running for any sort of reasonable amount of time, I have decided to do the Couch to 5K program.

I have always hated running, and dreaded any kind of sport/activity where I'd have to run more than a base line because I had such a hard time doing it in elementary school. I had PE teachers who didn't believe me that I had a heart condition that made it difficult for me to run. It took me at least 5 more minutes to complete the mile as my other classmates. I always felt like something was wrong with me, not just my heart, but WHY COULDN'T I DO THIS? People would laugh and tease, and I grew to hate it.

With my pacemaker, I know my inability to run is in my head now. That's a hard roadblock to get past. Years of not being able to do something doesn't make it easy for someone to say, "Hey, I think I'll do this thing that I have never been able to do successfully and got made fun of for most of my life." I saw the program though, and have decided to give it a shot.

I can do this.

No comments: